A housewife pillowcase is also known as a plain pillowcase.
These are a fairly easy first sewing project as it has no fiddly zips to put in.
or a cotton mix fabric is good to use for these. If you want to use
other fabric then you should try to find one that is just as washable.
can be made by recycling old sheets. Sometimes you find there is
plenty of wear still left around of edges of larger sized sheets.
How to make a plain pillowcase.
the pillow width and length. Make a front pattern allowing extra for
seam allowances. This is usually 1/2 inch or 1.5 cms.Make the
pattern for the back similar to the front by allowing the seam
allowances but also make the front 7 inches (18cms) longer to allow for
- Place the pattern on the wrong side of the material and cut out.
opening edge of the back piece and the flap edge of the front piece
have to be neatened by turning under twice to conceal the raw edge.
the other end of the back and front pieces and put right sides
together. Place the flap part of the back over the front and pin through
- Sew seams and then use a zig-zag stitch to neaten the raw edges.
- Turn the case to the right side and press.
To add a frill to the housewife pillowcase
- You need to cut out a frill piece to fit the size of your case. The length of this will depend on how much gathering you want. The back and the flap need to be cut out separately, remembering to add the seam allowance.
- Gather the frill evenly around the sides and pin it onto the front piece.Machine stitch the frill in place.
- The opening edge of the flap and the back need to be neatened by turning the raw edges under twice.
the other raw edge of the flap piece and front piece right sides
together so that the frill is in the middle. Sew in place then turn it
right side out.
- Take the back and front pieces
right sides together and sew around the edges leaving the flap edge
open. Neaten the seam with zig-zag stitch.
- Turn through to the right side and press.
Return from Housewife pillowcase to Pillows
Is there something not quite right about this page? Please contact me and let me know. Thank you